Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

New in College Park :)



My dear family,


     Hello hello! Well, another week has come and gone, and it seems like they're going both slow and fast at the same time...I'm not quite sure how that works... I'm in Lubbock! I absolutely LOVE my new area and my companion. It took some getting used to, but I am really enjoying teaching YSA. SO, transfers were hard because I had to say goodbye to my companions :( I cried a lot those last two days. It was really hard to say goodbye to the people in Roswell. I came to love them so much and it makes me really sad to know that I may not see them for a really long time. There are highs and lows to every part of missionary work, that's for sure.

     Sister Harvey is AWESOME!! I just adore her! She and I had the same MTC teacher but she came out a transfer after me. So, she's spanish speaking (yay!)  and fresh out of training and completely fantastic :D We are really similar, which is kind of scary sometimes because we are thinking the exact same thing ;) We speak spanish a LOT, which is awesome. It reminds me of my days at the MTC :) We are both not the most healthy eaters, but we're trying to change that! She is from Pleasant Grove, UT and she has two brothers and two sisters. Fun facts for the world :) 

     The ward here is so amazing! I was a little apprehensive about coming to YSA, but everyone told me how awesome it was, and I am happy to say that it's true! Obviously, every area in a mission has something wonderful about it, but there is something just different about serving on a college campus. Finding and contacting are really intimidating because everyone is going somewhere fast, but we are learning the tricks of the trade ;) Together, as a companionship, we have a goal of significantly improving our finding abilities this transfer. So, we're starting by just saying hi to EVERYONE we see :D It's working pretty well so far. 

From day one, there have been so many miracles here. I'm learning a new depth to the power of prayer and faith. For example, not even an hour after I met Sister Harvey, she gave me her planner to look at an address and I lost it... oops. But, we decided to say a prayer, and IMMEDIATELY we found it!! We have started a "miracle wall" where every night we write down the miracles that happened that day. 

     I have learned a LOT about trusting in the Lord this week. It's funny, because it's like General Conference was a 'heads up' of what was coming for me! The conference talk from Sister Marriott has really spoken to me this week, and also a couple of quotes from other people:

"If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill." -President Eyring

"Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!"
 "He is our comforter during the uncomfortable moments in our lives." 
     Those last two were said by people here in the mission :) One last thing that I have really loved this week is the last verse of "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go" (hymn #270):

 There's surely somewhere a lowly place
In earth's harvest fields so wide
Where I may labor through life's short day
For Jesus, the Crucified.
So trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I'll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I'll be what you want me to be.


         I am learning to be what HE wants me to be, and to set aside my own desires--however righteous I think they are. I know that as we learn to trust God, and strive to be worthy to have His Spirit with us always, we will become the incredible son or daughter that our Heavenly Father knows we can be.

      One last thing, my scripture that I am ponderizing this week is Jacob 4:6

Wherefore, we search the prophets, 
and we have many revelations and the spirit of prophecy; 
and having all these witnesses we obtain a hope, and our faith becometh unshaken,
 insomuch that we truly can command in the name of Jesus and the very trees obey us, 
or the mountains, or the waves of the sea.

           I know that as we study the words from the prophets, both modern and ancient, our faith will increase, our testimonies will be strengthened, and we will obtain the hope that will help us not only endure to the end, but to endure it well.

                 I love you all so much!!! I miss you more than I can say, but just know that all of you are always in my heart and in my prayers.


Love,

Sister Tycksen


Top one is the Hansen family--oh how I love them!

The other with the older couple is Paula and Larry :)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment