Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Hello dear family.

Hello my dear family!


     I was so happy to hear about your escapades at the cabin this year, and although I am very sad that I couldn't be there, I am so happy that you all had a good time! The stories and pictures are priceless! First of all, announcement time, next week P-day will be on Tuesday instead of Monday because on Monday we are having the Jingle Jam, which is our mission-wide Christmas party. They have to try and figure out the best day for everyone, which I guess this year was Monday. 
     Okay! This week we did a TON of service. We helped out at the Food Bank assembling boxes of food that they give out to those in need, and let me just say, if you want a job done right and fast, you get a bunch of missionaries! We had an assembly line and we each had our own job to do, and it was a lot of fun! We helped out at Toys for Tots, filling orders and requests. It was so much fun! We got to go "shopping" in a warehouse for a bunch of families.
I was asked to instruct in district meeting on Bearing Testimony. It went really well! I was super nervous, but I felt the Spirit as I was instructing. I started it off with the question: "How do you get away with telling a lie?" We discussed this, coming up with things like body language, believing it yourself, keep it simple and easy to remember. My object in this was to say "If people can lie and pretend so effectively that others believe them (like actors in movies--they become their characters), why can't we testify of what is true with that same power?" Because they're telling a story, a lie, but as missionaries (and also members) we're telling the truth! I had fun preparing it, it gave me a lot to think about. 
     I was able to go on exchanges with Sister Affleck this week! It was just like old times, it felt so natural to be companions with her again and to teach with her. She goes home this transfer, and I'm really going to miss her. But, we've agreed to keep in touch! Here's hoping. :)
Okay, funny story time, yesterday in church we had joint second and third hours. Bishop Voorhies taught both. In sunday school we talked about the christmas story, which was really cool, and then in third hour we talked about traditions. Bishop asked us to share our traditions around Christmas, and I was going to, but I had already talked a lot :3 and so I decided not to.       But then, he asked one more time after a few people had shared, and so I thought "Why not?" So, I shared about the "Tycksen Family Restaurant". I'll put the rest of the story in dialogue:
BishopVoorhies: I think that's a fantastic idea. How do we become a part of the Tycksen family?
Sister Voorhies: I don't know....we have a son!
Me: **speechless! Open mouth surprised expression**
Sister Voorhies: Just got back from his mission, he's 20, good looking...
Bishop: about 6'3"...
Everyone: Laughing and laughing
Me: still speechless
:D
Hahahaha funny right? I'm still not over it. Sister Harvey and I laugh every so often about it. That's what I get for serving in a YSA ward ;)
I love y'all so much! I am so excited to talk to y'all on Christmas, but for now I'll just send my love via email!
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO to the moon and back!
Love, Sister Tycksen


No comments:

Post a Comment