Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Out with the Old, in with the New



My dear family,

       Happy New Year! I can't believe that it's already 2016! Now, when people ask me when I go home, I say "the end of this year" XI (<----that's a dead face) It's going by so fast! My last week with Sister Harvey was bittersweet. I was so excited for her to have this new adventure, but I didn't want to see her go, but I was so looking forward Sister Matheson coming too! How can someone feel all of that emotion at one time? So, for New Year's Eve, we had a little movie party with another companionship of sisters. We watched Legacy (which is basically the missionary-approved chick flick) and Meet the Mormons. The hardest part of watching Meet the Mormons was the Missionary Mom. Sister Harvey and I were both crying :3 I miss y'all.

      On Saturday was transfers. Sister Harvey had to be at the church at 7:45 am so that they could drive up to Amarillo, so I was companions with Sister Nichols for the whole day until around 5 when Sister Matheson got here. It was fun! Sister Nichols and I were able to try and contact a referral, but the majority of our day was in driving some sisters to and from Snyder, which is about a 1 1/2 hour drive. I felt so bad that I couldn't take a turn, we're not supposed to drive unless we're authorized. She was so tired. But she's amazing! She is one of my STL's and she's super sweet. Anyways, Sister Matheson is here, and she's awesome! She's from Salt Lake City, a little suburb called Milcreek. We've been able to have four lessons with recent converts since she got here, and they've all been so good! Transfers bring miracles, and especially training. Training brings miracles too. 

      We were finally able to drive our cars! It's a little scary because the roads are still a little icy, but don't worry! I'm keeping my wits about me. Oh, did I mention? I FINALLY GET TO DRIVE!! That's something that I was super excited about. I love driving :) On New Year's Eve, we were out and about, trying to contact someone, and we were walking for 2 hours. It would have taken a lot less than that, but there was snow and ice, and also we had to go around the highway that cuts right next to our complex until we found a crosswalk. We were on our way home, when all of a sudden this car pulls up next to us. It's this cute, sassy little black lady that was like "What on earth are y'all doing? It is way too cold for you girls to be walking!" We replied with, "Oh, it's okay, we're almost home (Which we were!)" but then she ordered us to get in her car! She said "Get in. I'm giving y'all a ride home." :) Turns out that as we were walking, Sister Harvey was praying that someone would stop and give us a ride home. She has such incredible faith, I am so blessed to have been her companion.

       I think I might have mentioned this before, but I'm going to mention it again anyway. :) Something that I've been learning the past few weeks is how the Spirit talks to me. It's so amazing and also really humbling as I've been learning this because I'm realizing that practically NONE of the thoughts I have are actually my own! They all come from either the Holy Ghost, or the natural man. I guess that that is a good thing, because that means that as I'm learning this my spirit is more in harmony with the Holy Ghost? I'd shudder to think if it was the opposite! Anyway, as I study, I'm really careful to pay attention to the thoughts I have, especially when things pop into my head after reading a passage of scripture or from PMG. As I've done this, It's been incredible. I have never felt so connected with the Spirit and with my Heavenly Father. I've also never learned quite so much. The gospel is amazing! God lives! His church is true! And I am so happy and privileged to be a part of it :)

One last thing. On New Year's Day, the very first scripture that I read was from Doctrine & Covenants 123:16-17. It says:
You know, brethren, that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves. Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.
I just love that scripture! It brings an image to my mind of a ship being tossed to and fro on the sea by a storm, but through it all, there is someone at the wheel, the helm, steering the ship to safety despite the tempest. The Spirit speaks as a whisper. It doesn't shout to be heard. If we let it, it will guide us through these storms of life, and we will never be led astray.

I know this gospel is true. I know it, I live it, I love it! And I love all of y'all. May the Lord bless you and keep you in all your paths :)


I love you!
Love, Sister Tycksen






Sister Harvey and I on Transfer day
Our district (minus Elder Murray, who wasn't there at the time)
My "stressing" out moment on New Years Day --haha


No comments:

Post a Comment