Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Guten Tag from Carlsbad :D



Hello my dear family!

      Did you know that there are people in New Mexico and Texas that only speak German? They come from a German colony in Mexico and they ended up moving to the states! I have met a whole kaleidoscope of people this last week. I've also spoken more Spanish in the past six days than I did in all of my time in Lubbock! Yay! Exciting! Carlsbad is so different from both Roswell and Lubbock. I can't explain it. It's a pretty small town (pop.~3500) and it's pretty spread out so it feels nothing like Lubbock. It's an oil field boom town, so a whole bunch of people work in the oil business--which makes it difficult to keep consistent teaching appointments with them (grrr) but that's okay because there are some really solid and special people here! We actually talked to a man at Walmart today about the gospel. His name was Manuel and he spoke Spanish to us and was asking about our name tags. We talked about the Bible and I asked if he had heard about the Book of Mormon. He said no, so Sister Russell pulled one out of her bag and I briefly explained/introduced it. He was quiet, but then he asked "Can I have one?" And he was super excited about it! We invited him to church too, and the thing is, that he asked for all of the information, so it's kind of like he invited himself!

       I was asked to speak in sacrament meeting yesterday, being the new missionary and all, and I talked a little about the Atonement and related it to Alma 22 when Aaron is teaching King Lamoni's father. He was willing to give up everything he had, his riches, his kingdom, even his sins, so that he could come to know God. And that made me think, how much is it worth to me to know God? And so I want to ask y'all that as well: How much is it worth to YOU to know God? And what does it even mean to know God?

       One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how much the Lord is teaching me while I'm serving this mission. I keep thinking that I'm here to teach, but I'm figuring out that I am here to be taught. Sometimes it's gentle, and sometimes it feels like I've been hit by a train, but I always learn something every day. 
I love you all dearly and I hope you have a splendid week! :D
Love, Sister Tycksen



Here's that picture of us with Jessica! 

No comments:

Post a Comment