Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Born again



Hello my dear family!!

     Wow! This week went by so fast, but also so slow! Hmm..how does that work?? I was able to go to Lubbock to MLC with my companions, and it was absolutely AMAZING!! I had had some questions/things I was thinking about and wanting to improve last week, and they were ALL answered! Our mission president is incredible, and so is his wife. I am so grateful that they are here at this time, and I am too. :) Plus, I got to see Sister Villondo! :D

     On Sunday, we taught an "LDS scripture study" class at NMMI (the New Mexico Military INstitute) and I WAS TEACHING!!! They have this weird rule where there can only be one person "teaching" and it can't be the same person every time. I was so nervous! I kept stumbling over my words, and kind of repeating myself at the beginning, but then I started writing on the board, and I was fine ;) It's funny, because I joke that I want to become a teacher just so that I can write on whiteboards all the time, but it's really a lot more helpful than just lecturing!! Right before I went up, I had a TON of butterflies in my stomach, and a scripture in 2 Timothy 1:7 came to mind. It says: For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. That gave me the confidence I needed to get up there and open my mouth!!

      Speaking of opening my mouth, that's something that I've been having a really hard time with--especially in door approaches. BUT I'm starting to gain some courage :) On Sunday we contacted a referral from a member, and it started out with the usual questions "Have you ever seen missionaries before","Do you attend a church here in town", etc. She told us that she was a "born-again Christian" (I still don't know what that means) and that she had found Jesus. She was trying to get us off her porch, and she was trying to end our conversation, but at one point she said that she knew a couple of her neighbors were members and that they were really wonderful people, but the church wasn't for her. I had a prompting to say something, and usually I either don't because I'm too nervous, or I just don't hear any promptings at all, but this time I followed that prompting! This led into a deeper conversation about the gospel and about Christ, and by the end of the conversation, we gave her our card with our number and she gave us each a hug! I think I may be finally getting the hang of things! ;)

       One of our investigators, Andrew, is progressing so well. He has changed so much from when we started teaching him, and we finally got down to why he wasn't keeping commitments. It was such a powerful lesson, and definitely guided by the Spirit! It didn't go anywhere near where we planned for it to go, but it was really good!

         I hope y'all are doing swell! ;) I sure love and miss you guys a whole lot!

LOVE YOUS!!!!
Love,
Hermana Tycksen

1 comment:

  1. Wow! A talented preacher! I could see that coming, she's such a great writer. Love the stories.

    ReplyDelete