Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Cast down and forsaken, but not destroyed!



Hello my dear family!

      Well, before y'all freak out about the subject line, I'll just tell you: I've been sick for the past few days. It's been hard because being sick isn't fun wherever you are, but as a missionary, yes you're sick, but you're also a  missionary...so, life goes on. I was stuck in bed all day Friday and I had a fever yesterday at church (yay!) but, I've caught myself from asking "Why is this happening? I don't understand." to thinking "okay, what am I supposed to learn from this?" And that has helped so much. To relate my emotions ;) I'll explain it in a way Sister Heap does:
      When you go running every day, it's hard sometimes, but it's especially hard to go when it's cold, or it's raining, or really windy. You don't want to go! It's so much easier to stay inside where it's nice and warm and comfortable. But, when you go out and you run in those hard conditions, you accomplish something. You can say, "Yes! It was hard, but I did it!" That's how I feel right now. Yes, I was not feeling well at church yesterday, but I did it :) "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."
       On another note, We met a TON of random different people this week! We contacted on tech for an hour an a half one day and we talked to SO MANY PEOPLE!! I've learned a lot about following the promptings that I receive from the Spirit. And also that although we are supposed to talk to everyone, we are supposed to follow the spirit and say the right words to touch their hearts. Not everyone receives the spirit the same way. 
        I've been studying a lot about God and who He is. My inspiration for this came from a quote in PMG: "When he prayed, you knew he was talking to the Lord. It wasn't a rote thing--it was a conversation." And so that made me think :How do I need to address God in my prayers? Because He really has so many titles and roles, it's hard to pick one. I came up with a list of names for our Heavenly Father, and I realized that we shouldn't say "Oh, today I'm speaking to the creator of the world" or "I'm speaking to my deity" or "I'm only talking with my Father". We don't get to pick and choose which titles He deserves, because they are ALL HIS. We are addressing our Supreme Creator, the Father of mankind, our King, our Majesty on High, our Heavenly Father. We are everything to Him, and He should be everything to us.
        There's a scripture in Acts 17:28 that says:

For in him we live, and move, and have our being. As certain also of your poets have said, for we are also his offspring. Isn't that so amazing? In him we live and move and have our being. Without God, we are literally nothing. This has been a journey for me and I feel like it has strengthened my relationship with Him immensely. And the best part is, there is so much more to come!

I hope y'all are having a wonderful week, and that it continues to be so :)

With Love from Texas,
Sister Tycksen



1 comment: