Hermana Tycksen was called to the TEXAS LUBBOCK MISSION, spanish speaking. She began her mission on April 22, 2015. She is currently serving in Carlsbad, NM.

Monday, November 2, 2015

His Ways Are Not Our Ways



My dear family,

     Hello! Can you believe it's already November? Where did the time go? I hope that everyone had an awesome Halloween.

     Well, we had our "mission tour" this weekend! Elder Bradley D. Foster from the Seventy came and spoke to us. He and his wife are amazing! I learned so much from both of them and actually, after the mission tour, Sister Foster an Sister Heap came to a lesson with us! I was so nervous at first, but then I was so grateful that we had that opportunity. 

     Funny Halloween story: we were meeting with a recent convert in a building on campus, but he wasn't there yet so we were waiting for him in some chairs. All of a sudden, Sister Harvey points out a SPIDER that is coming down from the ceiling literally SIX INCHES from my face! The first thing that went through my mind was "Happy Halloween!" and then I froze. Usually, in a fight or flight situation, I'm flight, but this spider had me pinned in a corner! I was absolutely terrified! (Which is strange, because anyone who knows me knows that I am not afraid of spiders in the LEAST--unless, of course, they come at me when I'm unarmed! So, while I was frozen, not knowing what to do, Sister Harvey yanks my bag from my lap and pulls me along with it! So, she saved the day.(yay!) I am so grateful for her. She and I are pretty much the same person, but we also have different strengths and weaknesses, so we help each other out. But, on my mission, I've decided to accept the fact that my life is full of crazy embarrassing moments that happen when I least expect them!

      So, the scripture that I ponderized this last week was 1 Corinthians 9:24-26. I love this scripture! To me, it's a battle cry to focus our efforts and realize what we are fighting for.

 24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
 25 And every man that striveth for the mastery istemperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
 26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
       And then, this week, I've decided to ponderize the 4th and 5th verses from the hymn "How Firm A Foundation". I don't know if that's against the rules of ponderizing...? But I'm doing it anyway! I was challenged to read and study the verses of this hymn by a less active that we are working with--we give him commitments and he gives us commitments.

4. When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'erflow,
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

5. When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
   My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply.
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

       I absolutely love these verses, and for some reason, I've never read them before! The last two lines of the 5th verse particularly speak to me: The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design  Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.  The dross is all of the dirt and impurities that are in ore before it is refined into gold. When we are in "fiery trials" and we feel like we're at our breaking point, that is when we are being changed from sparkly rock into precious gold. Hang in there, it gets better, I promise. I am a witness that GOd has a plan for each of His children, and that none of our plans are the same! I know that He reveals what we need exactly when we need it, and all we have to do is to press forward with a perfect brightness of hope and endure to the end! What a beautiful promise!

I love you all so much! I hope y'all have a wonderful week! (I snuck in some Texan there)

Love, Sister Tycksen

P.S. whenever I meet new people, they find it absolutely hilarious that I'm a "Tycksen" in Texas!

Hermana Harvey and Hermana Tycksen (she cut off about half her hair. :) and LOVES it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment